September Marketing Blog
Ways to Celebrate American Pharmacists Month in Your Pharmacy
Every October is American Pharmacists Month. This is the perfect opportunity to shine a light on your profession and educate patients, lawmakers, the public and other professionals about the role you play in your patient’s overall health and wellbeing, and in your community.
Get Cooking & Get Physical
- Invite a nutrition specialist to discuss healthy eating habits and portion control. Have more time? Invite a local cook/chef to give a short presentation on cooking for health issues, such as allergies, diabetes and heart-health. This would be a great way to promote front-end nutritional supplements and to discuss food/medication interactions.
- Invite a local fitness trainer to come in and talk about simple exercise routines that can be completed at home. This would be a great way to promote front-end fitness equipment.
Become a Tour Guide
- Conduct OTC aisle tours for specific target groups such as older adults, parents or athletes to help them understand how to select the correct products for their conditions. Demonstrate how to read labels, know the active ingredients and provide an opportunity to ask questions.
Get the Lege Out
- There is no better time than now to reach out to your Texas legislators to begin building a working relationship. If you already have a good relationship with your state representative and/or senator, congratulations! The current election campaign season offers a terrific opportunity to take that relationship to the next level. If you're a political novice, the prospect can seem intimidating. That's why TPBC has created our GET THE LEGE OUT campaign to provide the support, advice and practical tools you need to help you establish and build a working relationship with your elected legislators.
Get Ready for Part D
- Every year, Medicare’s open enrollment period is October 15 - December 7. Start educating your patients early to avoid confusion, disruption. Set aside time each day/week to answer questions about Medicare drug coverage for local seniors. For a list of 2019 changes and resources, access the Medicare Part D Enrollment Tools on our website.
Thank your Technicians
- National Pharmacy Technicians Day is October 16. Show your technicians how much you value and appreciate their work. Some ideas include a special post and picture on your social media page, treat them to lunch and spice up your pharmacy with balloons and cake.
- Partner with local independent businesses to generate information or coupon exchange opportunities. Offer to include their menus, list of services or coupons in your store if they return the favor.
October Health Observances
- American Pharmacists Month
- Talk About Your Medicines Month
- Dental Hygiene Awareness Month
- Children’s Health Month
- Health Literacy Month
- Healthy Babies Month
- Healthy Lung Month
- National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- National Depression and Mental Health Screening Month
- National Liver Awareness Month
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month
- National Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Awareness Month
- National Pharmacy Technician Day (16th)
- Respiratory Care Week (21st - 27th)
November Health Observances
- American Diabetes Month
- Diabetic Eye Disease Month
- Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- National Healthy Skin Month
- National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month
- National Epilepsy Awareness Month
- National Family Caregivers Month
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Month
- Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month
- Prematurity Awareness Month
- Great American Smokeout (15th)
For a complete list of 2019 National Health Observances with free hyperlinked resources, download the American Pharmacies 2019 Pharmacy, Health and Wellness Observances Calendar. Additional tips and resources are available in the Marketing Resource Center