March Marketing Blog
Preparing Your Patients for American Diabetes Alert Day
Held March 26, 2019, American Diabetes Association Alert Day is a day to sound the alarm about the prevalence of type 2 diabetes by asking everyone to take the Type 2 Diabetes Risk Test. The free, anonymous risk test only takes a minute to complete. By answering questions such as “Do you have a family history of diabetes?” and “Are you physically active?” you can learn if you’re at risk for type 2 diabetes in 60 seconds (American Diabetes Association).
Wake Up Call! Are Your Patients at Risk?
Diagnosis often comes seven to 10 years after the onset of the disease. Print paper copies of the test (English and Spanish versions available) and provide them to your patients. If they are at risk, offer free glucose and H1C level screenings. Based on the results, schedule consultations to discuss ways to lower diabetes risk. The screenings and consultations can be part of a promotional event or on a one-on-one basis depending on your available time and resources. Don’t hesitate to partner with local prescribers, media and community organizations to maximize your reach. American Diabetes Alert Day operates essentially as a grassroots campaign with awareness activities taking place in many cities across the country, so check your local community calendars for partnership opportunities.
Ask a Pharmacist!
Don’t have time to plan and execute an event? We’ve got you covered. Host a virtual “Ask the Pharmacist!” event via social media or your website. The Facebook Live platform is an excellent opportunity to set aside 30 minutes to take and answer questions from your followers without leaving your pharmacy. If Facebook Live is not doable, encourage your patients to submit questions via email, Facebook messaging or your website the week before and provide the answers on March 26th.
Sample Facebook Promotional Messaging:
- On March 26, [pharmacy name] is joining the American Diabetes Association for #DiabetesAlertDay, a day to sound the alarm about the prevalence and risks of type 2 diabetes. Stop by to take the one-minute Type 2 Diabetes Risk Test and find out if you are one of 84 million Americans at risk—and how we can help you improve your health.
- On March 26, [pharmacy name] is joining the American Diabetes Association for #DiabetesAlertDay, a day to sound the alarm about the prevalence and risks of type 2 diabetes. Do you have questions to #AskThePharmacist? Submit your questions via [email address] by [date] and I will answer them on [day].
Don’t stop there. Take the most asked questions and create a Diabetes FAQ to use for handouts and on your website for future reference.
Encourage Your Patients to Take Charge of Their Health
Studies have shown that type 2 diabetes can often be prevented by losing 7 percent of body weight through physical activity and healthy eating. A 30-minute walk a few days per week is a great start! Have a little fun by creating an in-store “The Biggest Loser Fitness Challenge” with a cool prize for the top 3 participants who lose the biggest percentage of their body weight. Establish a designated weigh-in and weigh-out day. To encourage maximum participation, allow your patients to video their weigh-ins and submit them to you via email. Invite the staff to participate as well. Below are a few marketing tools to get you started.
Have room for a few friends during Ask the Pharmacist? Invite a local nutritionist and fitness expert to join you during your virtual or community event.
Finally, don’t forget to promote your OTC products and supplements that support healthy blood sugar, such as Chromium and Alpha-lipoic acid and to remind patients of natural aids, such as cinnamon.
April Health Observances
- National Autism Awareness Month
- National Alcohol Awareness Month
- National Cancer Control Month
- National Child Abuse Prevention Month
- National Donate Life Month
- Stress Awareness Month
- National Minority Health Month
- National Public Health Week (2nd - 18th)
- World Immunization Week (24th-30th)
- World Meningitis Day (24th)
- World Health Day (7th)
For a complete list of 2019 National Health Observances with free hyperlinked resources, download the American Pharmacies 2019 Pharmacy, Health and Wellness Observances Calendar. Additional tips and resources are available in the Marketing Resource Center.