August Marketing Blog
Recognizing Health, Fitness and Obesity Awareness in Your Pharmacy
September is full of opportunities to promote your pharmacy’s products and services through community partnerships.
- Show your patients that you care about the health and wellness of their family by providing this free Parent Tips flier about the number of daily calories needed to stay healthy based on age and activity level.
- Celebrate Family Health and Fitness Day (September 29) by holding an awareness event on Cholesterol, Obesity, Fitness and Healthy Aging at a local community center. This observance is nation-wide and often drives local community business (schools, parks, YMCA, health clubs, malls, hospitals) to partner to hold a family-related event for all ages. Activities are noncompetitive and can include:
- Walking events
- Low-impact exercises
- Health screenings
- Open houses, and
- Health information workshops
- Incorporate med reviews into your event and use this medication log and free bag stuffers for promotion.
Another great addition to your event promotion is this free Family Health Adventure information flier (Eng: Span). Make sure your patients know the risk factors, signs and symptoms, prevention, diagnosis and treatment hot high cholesterol with this free easy-to-read handout. Need a refresher on how to hold an event? Check out January’s blog on Planning and Executing your Health Promotion Event for tips and resources.
- Finally, this is a perfect time to let your OTC products shine. Whether its herbal supplements, vitamins, blood pressure machines or dietary supplements, place it front and center and offer a coupon to sweeten the deal.
Additional Resources and Handouts for Patients
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
High cholesterol raises the risk of PAD, which happens when plaque buildup narrows or blocks blood vessels, preventing blood from reaching the legs and feet.
- ABCS of Heart Health[PDF-278 KB]
This easy-to-understand fact sheet about heart health (aspirin use when appropriate, blood pressure control, cholesterol management, and smoking cessation) is available in English and Spanish.
- Community health workers (CHWs) are encouraged to read the fotonovela with participants. A CHW Guide accompanies the fotonovela and gives these members of the health care team a brief summary of objectives, tips, additional activities, reviews, and reminders.
- Pharmacist CARE Card: This graphical tool will help your patients understand how their medication should be taken, what things they should avoid while taking it as well as possible side effects.
September Health Observances
- Baby Safety Awareness Month
- Blood Cancer Awareness Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Healthy Aging Month
- National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
- Cholesterol Education Month
- National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
- National Recovery Month
- National Sickle Cell Disease Awareness Month
- Prostate Health Month
- Pain Awareness Month
- Women’s Health and Fitness Day (26th)
- Family Health & Fitness Day (29th)
October Health Observances
- American Pharmacists Month
- Talk About Your Medicines Month
- Dental Hygiene Awareness Month
- Children’s Health Month
- Health Literacy Month
- Healthy Babies Month
- Healthy Lung Month
- National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- National Depression and Mental Health Screening Month
- National Liver Awareness Month
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month
- National Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Awareness Month
- National Pharmacy Technician Day (16th)
- Respiratory Care Week (21st - 27th)
For a complete list of 2019 National Health Observances with free hyperlinked resources, download the American Pharmacies 2019 Pharmacy, Health and Wellness Observances Calendar. Additional tips and resources are available in the Marketing Resource Center